29 and holding

29 years ago on this day, my mother woke up, got dressed, went to the local preccinct to vote (I think she voted for Jimmy Carter) in the morning and had a bouncing baby boy that afternoon. I was born on November 2nd, 1976, Election Day in the Bicentennial year. People encouraged my parents to name me Jimmy Gerald or Carter Ford or some other obscene manipulation of the Presidential candidates of the day. Thankfully, sanity ruled the day and my parents settled on the name Jason. Actually, I’m told my father lobbied hard for the name Wesley Xavier. Thanks for vetoing that one, Mom. I can’t picture myself as a Wes or Xavier; although I could’ve just gone by “X” or “X man”. What might’ve been…

My friend, Scott Freeman, on his site Free Thoughts, has posted the results of a “death test” he took recently. Out of curiosity, I checked it out. According to my results, I have exactly 40 more years to live. Maybe my beloved Cards will finally win another Series by 2045. That means I’ll only be around to see 10 more Olympiads. Bummer.

The hardest thing for me to believe is that I’m 365 days away from being 30. I’m still a kid for crying out loud. Craziness. Oh well, here’s to enjoying the last days of my twenties!

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to 29 and holding

1. scott says:

Happy Birthday, my twin brother.

“Mom was in labor for 8 years. Killer stretch marks.”Classic.

3. scott says:

“You guys twins?”

4. Anonymous says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 🙂 ~Jenna

5. mike the eyeguy says:

Happy Birthday!But really, dishing birthday angst when you haven’t even broken 30 yet…pleeease!I turn forty (ahem) on November 17th and I’ll show you some serious birthday angst then, I tell you that much!

Hey, you remember what it was like to be almost 30, don’t you Mike? It’s a sobering thought. My question is this: when do you start to FEEL like an adult ALL the time? I feel like an adult about 80% of the time, but in a lot of ways, I’m still a stupid kid. Angst may be too strong a word to describe how I feel, but that’s OK. Happy early B-Day, Mike.Scott, “Y’all all look alike to me.”

7. T.H. says:

you mean you’re not already 30??? well, happy birthday anyways!

8. mike the eyeguy says:

I remember thinking that turning 30 would be a “big one” but I found it to be little more than a small speedbump on the road of life. For the most part, nothing changes that much; physically, you’re still near the top of your game and you don’t look that much different.Turning 40 is more of a middle age “milestone.” You figure that you’re probably around half way through and physically things have definitely changed! I’ll spare you the gory details on that, although I will say that this whole presbyopia/bifocal thing is extremely depressing. All these years I’ve been prescribing glasses and I never truly understood how heartbreaking having “old eyes” could be!I started to feel like an adult around the time that my sons starting beating me to 50-50 balls on the soccer field and when I started to lose to them in foot races (even when I was trying).If that wasn’t enough, then pulling up to a traffic light and looking across to the next lane and seeing David sitting in the car next to me by himself was enough to put me over the edge!

Yikes, dude! You are old! Just kidding. Most of the time, I feel older than I am. That’s served me well sometimes, but getting to 30 is looking pretty significant next year!