Things I’m Lovin’

Here are a couple of things I’m loving right now:

1. Our Wednesday night Treasure series. We’ve had two great weeks studying our blessings and our charge to lay up treasure in heaven. Tonight’s Road Trip promises to be another great night. Join us at 7PM in the Student Center.

2. Tuesday night TV. Last night was an excercise in sedentariness for me. Not only did I sit through two hours of American Idol, I also caught the pilot of “Love Monkey” (looks promising, I must say). And I taped an hour of Scrubs (I love that show). I don’t know what I’m going to do when The Amazing Race comes back on in February. Oh, and I’m also into House. Quandries, quandries. I need to get me some of that TiVO.

3. Sunny’s enchilladas. I know I put this on my list everytime, but the woman has a gift for cooking and this is definitely my favorite dish. I’m a blessed man.

4. The NFL Playoffs. I can’t quite explain it, but I’ve been more into this NFL season than any in recent memory. Although I’d love to have seen my boy Peyton get a ring, I’m intrigued by this weekend’s matchups. Denver vs. Pittsburgh in the AFC Title game looks to be epic. Two great running teams, two stout defenses, two great coaches. I’m picking Denver. Besides, I’m digging Plummer’s mountain man look. The Panthers are hot; they have the look of one of those “teams of destiny”, in spite of being SI’s preseason pick.

5. The Mercy Seat by Johnny Cash. This one is from his American III: Solitary Man album. It’s one of the most haunting songs I’ve ever heard. Check it out.

6. Jack’s back. This week marked the return of the most intense hour of TV, Fox’s perennial hit 24. I loved the way last season ended and I thought this might be the season this great show jumped the proverbial shark. But so far, so good.

7. Third Day. David Crowder Band. March 3rd. Memphis, TN. I’m there, baby. Looking forward to watching DCB rock it out on Foreverandever etc.

8. The Tile Game. I hate that I can’t break 2000. Sigh.

9. 30 days until pitchers and catchers report!

10. The Book of Samuel. Been prepping for next week’s grad course by reading up on the text. Such a rich narrative with great application for us. I love David’s comment in 2 Sam. 24:24 when Araunah offers him oxen for the burnt offering at no charge. David’s response: I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing. Sacrifice at no cost is no sacrifice at all. If such a principle governed our giving….

This entry was posted in Cash, Games, Television, What I'm Loving. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Things I’m Lovin’

Amazing Race and Survivor both begin anew the first week of February I believe. Survivor is going to have the new “Exile Island” where the castaways go. Both of these begin the week of my birthday!

2. dp says:

Are you serious? Crowder and Third Day?!? Nice. And only Two hours away from me. I am hoping the Panthers stay hot and win it all. Jake Delhomme and I are from the same place, and he’s sorta become a local celebrity there. Also, 24 is a great show.

Del-homie is a clutch postseason QB. Hard to believe, but he has a higher postseason QB rating than Montana. Wow.I like the Panthers to win, but I forgot they’re down to their 3rd string RB. But as long as Steve Smith is healthy, they have a shot. He’s amazing.Let me know if you make it to the Third Day / Crowder show, Dan. Maybe we can hook up before hand and say hey.Lane, Amazing Race & Survivor are both great shows. I’m glad this new season of AR will be a return to the original format (teams of two). The Family Edition was nice, but the novelty wore off quickly for me. And Survivor looks interesting with this new Exile Island twist. Sounds good.

4. scott says:

I am a TV junkie. TIVO is a must. Greatest invention. Ever. Tuesday and Thursday night are all night affairs for us.I had Mercy Seat on my MP3 player a couple of months back. Around the same time I was doing my study on the history of the death penalty in the US. Haunting is right.You know I live in the same town as Crowder and have only seen him once.1 Samuel was the first book I ever preached all the way through. Followed it up a year later with 2 Samuel. I’ve got sermon notes if you are interested.

I have to agree that TIVO is the greatest thing in the world. The only unfortunate thing is that you need to have a landline phone to use it, but its still pretty dang cool.Oh, and by the way, 3rd Day and DCB are right in my backyard…oh yeah, that’s right, you’re going with me!

6. scott says:

If you have satellite you don’t need a land line. Come to the world of Dish.

I’d love to see the Samuel notes, Scott. Are you going to post them to your new page eventually?

2007! Yes!