25 Things You May Not Know About Me

1. My middle name is Al. That’s it. Just Al.

2. Yellow is my new favorite color. Ask Abby Kate to say it and you’ll see why.

3. I’m really quite introverted. I truly enjoy my alone time. These days, that’s pretty much limited to my time in the truck on the way to and from work.

4. If I weren’t a minister, I’d want to be a sports journalist. Or the Cardinals general manager.

5. I hate meatloaf.

6. I also hate chewing gum.

7. When I read a magazine, I start from the back and work my way forward. Don’t ask me why.

8. I’ve played in two fantasy NBA leagues in my life. I won the title both times.

9. When I was little, I created my own superhero: Rockman. His superpower was his ability to transform into a mammoth boulder at will. I know, pretty lame.

10. I can name the starter at any position for any major league baseball team.

11. My father wanted to name me Wesley Xavier. Seriously.

12. I have a fleck of orange in my right eye.

13. My best friend growing up was a Japanese girl named Yuki Shibahara. She moved back to Japan when I was ten. I wish I knew how to get in touch with her.

14. I played the role of Rolf in my high school production of the Sound of Music.

15. I’ve never lost a game of Scrabble.

16. I tried very hard to get Sunny to elope with me.

17. I grow a beard every November.

18. I slurp my cereal in the morning. Drives Sunny crazy.

19. I’ve never had a Starbucks.

20. I have a thing for Bibles. Leather bound, hard cover, wide margin, pocket size, paraphrase, inter-linear, study Bible, Serendipity Bible, Couples Devotional Bible, NIV, TNIV, NASB, NASB Update, ESV, KJV, NRSV, The Message…you name it, I own it.

21. My first car was a 1987 Oldsmobile Firenza.

22. The one movie that always makes me cry: Father of the Bride.

23. I have a collection of potted meats from around the globe.

24. As a child, I accidentally shot another kid in the leg with a BB gun.

25. I’m blessed. If you don’t believe me, see below.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to 25 Things You May Not Know About Me

1. Kenny Simpson says:

Very nice. Something else people may not know: you finished 3rd this year in fantasy baseball.Nice picture…AL

Ah, the Firenza. What a piece of crap that thing was. I’ll never forget speeding home from church, listening to Jeremy or Black by Pearl Jam. I’ll also never forget when it stopped at that redlight near the square, and it didn’t go anymore.

by the way, where was that picture made? I really like it.

4. jon says:

Oh, really…who plays centerfield for the Diamond backs. Just kidding I don’t even know, Al. Nice picture. Jason those jeans look a little snug. Bet that was uncomfortable cramming into them and then having to sit in that ‘natural’ position

5. Jamey says:

Love the picture! Barefoot is fun.I think I, along with everyone else, am going to start calling you Al.So, the Fantastic Four stole their superhero from you?

6. mike the eyeguy says:

Dear Al, Regarding #12, do you mean this is some type of metaphorical, Rocky Top sense, or is there a literal “fleck of orange” in your right eye? If literal, then where exactly? I’m concerned for your liver.Regarding #15, you’ve never played me.

7. sunny says:

You can be so annoying with your cereal slurping. I don’t understand why you slurp. It is so rude and absolutely gross! I think that you would be a great sports journalist. You know way too much about sports. More so baseball than anything else. Mike – I would love to see you beat Jason at a game of Scrabble. I taught him one night and I have yet to win!

8. mike the eyeguy says:

There’s no way he can slurp louder than #3 Son.Scrabble match and slurp-off at my house soon.

Mike,As well read as you are, you’d probably destroy me in Scrabble. But I’m game. As for the orange fleck, it’s a literal fleck. Although it really pops when I wear my orange UT paraphernalia. I’ve had breakfast with #3 before (Workcamp). I’d say it’s a draw on the slurping.

Kenny,Enough with the fantasy baseball. It’s football season, dude. And who’s undefeated with the highest point total in the league? I believe that would be me, mon frere.But if we are going to talk baseball, it’d be fair of me to point out that injuries pretty much did me in. Losing Sheffield, Sheets & Prior for significant portions of time really put me in a bind. That considered, #3 ain’t too shabby.

Attention A&NY readers: I have a comment from Sunny! Whoo-hooo!!!I really just slurp my cereal because I know it drives you nuts. But you love me anyway.I really just want to be Ray Barone (sports journalist, twin children, etc.). But you can cook way better than Debra.

When I was in 3rd grade, there were 2 other Jasons in my class, so I started telling people to call me Al. I think it lasted all of two days. Until now…..If I can call you Betty…

BTW, Eric Byrnes plays CF for the DBacks.

Lane, didn’t you own the Firenza at one time, too?

16. Scott Freeman says:

So much to comment on here. Mind if I get a word in, Jason?1. Introversion is cool, not a personality disorder as some people believe.2. Tracy makes a great meatloaf.3. I have Rolf indelibly burned into my brain.4. How many games of Scrabble have you played?5. I wanted to elope too. Not with you or Sunny. With Tracy.6. You aren’t missing on the Starbucks thing. I mystery shop them regularly.7. Are you really barefoot in that picture?8. Are you really listening to Jason Mraz?9. Injuries didn’t ruin your fantasy team. Relying on those three guys in the first place was your mistake.There, respond to each of those individually and you can have another 9 comments.

17. Kenny Simpson says:

Didn’t notice about the barefoot thing. Really Jason…BTW: Looks like 4th in the fantasy baseball league, and football is a long season my friend.Who plays CF for the Marlins?Now I get to type agamdh to get my post up.Messed up now I get to type vcehvgm.

18. Jenna says:

What a beautiful family!!

19. Jamey says:

I’m going to start commenting individually so I can have lots of comments too.

20. sunny says:

Guys, don’t be giving him a hard time on the bare feet. I think that Jennifer made a great family picture of all of us.

Scott,You’re ripping me about Jason Mraz. This coming from a lifelong Barry Manilow fan. I’ve played lots of Scrabble, boy. Bring it. And why shouldn’t Rolf be indelibly burned into your brain? I had some sweet dance moves, bro. I was relying on Sheffield & Sheets. Prior slipped to me in the mid-late rounds.Kenny,Reggi Abercrombie plays CF for the Marlins. Although not very well.Jamey,Nothing wrong with answering everybody individually. That’ll be a sure fire way to drive your comments higher than Kenny’s!

22. mike the eyeguy says:

“I find that if I reply to each comment individually, it really pads my comment count.”Actually, I think you discovered that little technique a while back.I’m betting that you haven’t blocked your own ISP address on your statcounter either.

23. Jamey says:

Sorry I brought up the barefoot thing…

Jason,I did own the Firenza. I forgot about that. You drove it down, parked it in my yard just beyond the driveway, and it sat for about a year. Then, we got about $100 bucks for it as a junk car.I’ll never forget Rolf, but I really will never forget like two nights before that play. You came in from a baseball game, and you had taken a line drive into the family maker. The Rolf dance was very memorable that night. (For all you who don’t know, I was Captain Von Trapp in that same play).

25. Kenny Simpson says:

3b for the devil rays. No cheating.

It was Ty Wigginton, but now it’s BJ Upton. No cheating.I took a pitch off the ankle, not the “family maker”. Just for the record.

Mike,I’ve seen a couple of individual replies over at Ocular Fusion, too. We learn quickly don’t we?And no way am I blocking my own ISP. That’s what drives my stat counter, man. Stop letting all my secrets out! :)(That’s the first one of those I’ve ever typed. What’s the word for it, Mike?)

28. mike the eyeguy says:

E-M-O-T-I-C-O-N

29. Kenny Simpson says:

29 comments is not bad but I am on gregkendallball’s blog and he is over 40 on one now.

I had one reach 42 once. That’s 21 comments and 21 replies by yours truly.

31. Ed says:

#13 – Should I assume that you have used the internet? I’ve dug up a couple of folks from my elementary school days via the internet. It can be a powerful tool.#19 – It’s overrated unless your into the extreme caffeine thing and dropping $5. My favorite at the moment is Cracker Barrel coffee. I’m guessing it’s laced with something that is addictive because I like the decaf too.#3, #25 – Me too#17 – I grow one everyday for dermatological reasons or something like that 🙂 It also hides my double chin.

Ed,I’ve used the Internet, to no avail. Maybe someday I’ll be able to reconnect with Yuki. I’m guessing she’s probably married with a new last name. I’m not a coffee fan anyway, so the Starbucks thing is really no biggie for me. My caffeinated beverage of choice is Mountain Dew.