I Believe: Prologue

I’ve been wanting to make a series of posts for quite some time and I think I’m finally ready to tackle them. I’ve long wanted to give articulation to my burgeoning theology and this is an attempt to do just that. Over the past several years, a few paradigmatic ideas have become central for my understanding of theology and I’ve probably blogged about most of this material already at some point along the way. This series, which I will work on occasionally over the next few weeks, is the outgrowth of my own personal Anselmian experience of “faith seeking understanding”. In short, this is what I believe.

I suppose this is the byproduct of several years of seminary training and exposure to a great many thought-provoking texts. I readily admit that I’ve been greatly influenced by Stanley Grenz and Tom Wright, to name only a few, and I apologize in advance for borrowing some of their language. But these and many other thinkers have been so helpful in giving me the language necessary for understanding my faith.

This series is sure to be of great interest to a few of you and probably less interesting to the rest. But I’m hoping this process will be as good for me as I anticipate. I’m thinking of this little project along the lines of Paul’s comment in 1 Corinthians 15:3; these are the matters of “first importance” in the development of my own theology.

This entry was posted in I Believe, Theology. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to I Believe: Prologue

1. Sunny says:

Can’t wait to read all about it. I’m sure that it will be great.

I’m pretty sure you’ve heard me work out most of this stuff already. Thank you for that.

3. Tracy says:

This is going to be great!

4. Scott says:

I will look forward to this as well.

Thanks, guys. It’s probably not going to be anything new or revelatory for either of you, but I think it’ll be helpful for me to get some of this stuff out.

6. T.H. says:

I’m glad you’re doing this, Jason. I think it will be a great exercise for your faith as well as an opportunity for the rest of us to evaluate our own ideas on the various tenants.My own lament regarding our heritage is the lack of this very thing…a clear and systematic way of articulating our core values and beliefs!Along with everyone else, I look forward to this series!

T.H. what are you talking about? Have you never heard of Jack Cottrell’s “The Faith Once For All”? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I’m looking forward to this, too. In Scott’s words, it’ll give me room to “suss” out a few things. I’ve been meaning to call you, by the way.