It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these posts. Here’s a random sampling of some things I’m really loving these days.
- The XM / Sirius merger. A few years ago, Sunny got me an XM radio subscription for my birthday. It was one of the best gifts I’ve ever received; I’ve loved having a wide selection of music, sports, and talk radio in my truck, especially while I was making so many trips to Lipscomb for grad school over the past couple years. But XM & Sirius merged this year and last week they unveiled their new lineup of channels. Most of my favorite XM channels are still intact, but now I have access to Sirius staples like Siriusly Sinatra, E Street Radio (all Springsteen, all the time), Elvis Radio and Lithium, a channel devoted to the best of 90’s alternative music. On the way home from work today, I heard an uninterrupted block of Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, R.E.M., and Oasis. Great stuff. I can’t wait for all the Christmas stations to get crankin’!
- Speaking of Christmas music, I’ve been listening to Third Day’s excellent Christmas Offerings CD a lot lately. This is really great Christmas music. It has that classic Third Day sound that is worth listening to any time of year. And each song truly captures the spirit of the season, too. No kitschy Frosty or Rudolph tunes; rather, each song highlights the joyous tidings of Christ’s birth. You Christmas music aficionados should pick up a copy if you don’t own it.
- Music isn’t the only thing I’m lovin’ these days. About six weeks ago, I suddenly became a coffee drinker. Like, overnight. I don’t know what it is, but it’s like some internal alarm clock just went off and I started drinking the stuff. Now I’m obsessed. I’ll have two cups in the morning, a cup in the afternoon, and usually one at night after the kids are in bed. The good news: I’ve lost about 5 lbs. since the coffee consumption has helped to seriously curtail my Mountain Dew addiction. The bad news: my breath always reeks of coffee. Small price to pay, though, for being constantly caffeinated.
- Last week, I read The Kite Runner by Khaleed Hosseini. I’d heard some good reviews and, although I’m not much of a fiction reader these days, I decided to pick up a copy from our local library and give it a shot. I was quickly immersed in the beautiful and heartbreaking story of Amir and Hassan, two childhood friends in Afghanastan in the 1970’s. From the inside jacket: “The Kite Runner is a novel about friendship, betrayal, and the price of loyalty. It is about the bonds between fathers and sons, and the power of father over sons – their love, their sacrifices, and their lies.” Hosseini gives us a gripping narrative and gives all of us cause to believe that there is indeed a way for us all to be good again.
- My beloved Tennessee Titans are 10-0 baby and I am absolutely lovin’ that! For the past couple of years, I’ve followed the NFL much more closely than the college football scene, which makes me something of an anomaly here in Alabama. But I find the storylines so much more compelling at the professional level. Of course, it always helps when your favorite team is competitive and this year’s version of the Titans more than fulfill that requirement. This seems to be a team built for the long haul: a strong running game, a veteran QB not prone to making mistakes, and a defense that’ll hit you in the mouth — these are the ingredients that give me cause for a deep playoff run. While I don’t think they’ll run the table, I think this team is poised to be the odds on favorite to represent the AFC in Tampa on February 1st.
That’s it for now. How about you? What are you lovin’ these days?