Tonight You Didn’t Cry

Six weeks ago, I made this post about my son, Joshua, and the hormone shots he was about to receive. Over the past month and a half, many of our good friends have asked about how our little guy is doing, how he’s handling the shots, etc. Overall, things have been going well; our “pod” (the name for the device that gives the shot) has become part of our nightly ritual. We’ve even noticed that Joshua has grown a little over a quarter of an inch in the last six weeks.

But tonight was a personal victory for us.

I knew this day would come; I just didn’t know when it would be.

Tonight I stuck Joshua’s little leg for the 39th time.

Tonight was the first night he didn’t cry.

Not one tear.

Just a slight grimace and a determined resolve to be strong and courageous one more time.

I know these stupid shots aren’t hurting any less now than they were six weeks ago. But I’m finding some comfort in the fact that Joshua is learning to deal with the pain that’s a part of his life six nights a week. He’s learning that the pain’s not so bad. He’s learning that the hurt eventually subsides and things do return to normal. He’s learning to cope and move on. In that sense, these shots are causing him to grow up in more ways than one.

Tonight, you didn’t cry, son.

Too bad the same can’t be said of your old man.

This entry was posted in Blessings, Kids. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tonight You Didn’t Cry

1. Sunny says:

Jason, I appreciate all that you do with Joshua each night in preparation and administration of his shots. I loved reading this post. It brought tears to my eyes.It is funny that we both wanted to post about it. Tonight was a big step for our little boy!

2. jenna says:

Wow, it brought tears to my eyes too! I love that you two have, from the beginning, intended that verse to be so much a part of Joshua’s life, and I love watching him grow into it.

3. Jamey says:

Joshua may not be crying, but everyone else is now…

4. Fran says:

Bravo, Joshua!

5. laura says:

Jason, that is wonderful. I know you are so glad it has got to this point. It sounds like it is already working. God is Good!

6. Anonymous says:

I’m not one to cry much, but this got me. I’m so proud of Joshua!Ashleigh

7. Dave Brumley says:

Wow, thanks for that man. It appears that like me with my children, you are learning many lessons from the child that God has entrusted you with. It sounds like you have a great son and I thank you for sharing this story with me.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.