Top Ten: Things I Wish Would Go Away

For those of you who check in here frequently, I apologize for the lack of posting lately. Over the weekend, Sunny and I decided to tackle a major project: painting our den, kitchen, and playroom areas. Our house has a fairly open floor plan, so all of these rooms are kinda connected. The people who lived here before us had this dirty looking, faux textured thing going on and it covered the whole den / kitchen / playroom, so painting over it was quite a job.

Along those lines, I submit to you a Top 10 list of things I wish would go away. Starting now.

10. Do-it-yourself home repair shows that inspire people to spend every waking moment of spare time on fixing up their homes (no surprise there, right?). My to-do list is about a mile long now.

9. The extra weight I gained over the holidays. Christmas was 6 weeks ago. No reason for me to still have this weight. I have a feeling this one is directly related to…

8. My Mountain Dew addiction. I consume dangerous amounts of Mountain Dew every day. This has to stop. (As I write, the withdrawal-headache is killing me!)

7. Insipid reality TV shows. Sure, I watch American Idol, just like everybody else. And I’ve come to grips with the fact that there is a market out there for Are You Smarter Than A Fifth-Grader? But My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad? Please. Thank goodness this writer’s strike is over.

6. Hannah Montana. My daughter has already started asking if she can watch. Sigh.

5. The phrase, “It is what it is.” Tune in to any sports talk station in America and I guarantee you’ll hear this phrase from a coach or player. “Coach, can you describe how you felt after that terrible defeat?” “Well, it is what it is.” That’s like saying something is reduntantly redundant. Every time I hear “it is what it is”, I wanna scream, “Was there ever a time when it was what it wasn’t?

4. While I’m at it, I’m ready for the phrase, “Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee” to go away. Huckabee’s like the basketball coach that keeps telling his players to foul when they’re down by 20 with less than a minute left. Give up the ghost, dude.

3. Winter. I don’t care about the groundhog. After about two weeks of cold weather, I’m ready for spring.

2. The Roger Clemens / HGH / steroids scandal. Nobody had his reputation sullied by the Mitchell Report more than Clemens. And last week’s episode on Capitol Hill probably did even more damage to his legacy. Thank goodness spring training is upon us and we can talk about what’s happening ON the baseball field.

1. Negative Top-10 lists. There, I feel better now.

This entry was posted in Random, Top 10. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Top Ten: Things I Wish Would Go Away

1. Trey and Bri Maharrey says:

jason- great list! hope the painting is going/went well (i guess regardless of how it went – it is what it is) also, i share in your mountain dew addiction, although mine is of the “diet” variety…..mmmmmm….caffeine.-trey

its 9:25, and I haven’t had caffeine yet today. I have been drinking up to 6 Diet Dr. Peppers a day, which is just not good for me at all. How coincidental is that today was the day I started my caffeine rejection. I have had two bottles of water already, and I’m about to reach for my third.

3. TARA says:

Join us on the 21 day Daniel Fast. You won’t believe what you won’t miss after 7 days, but it is what it is!

4. Stacy says:

At least you didn’t knock that GREAT reality show Big Brother!! Ha.

Trey, I could never do Diet Dew. I go for the hard stuff. Lane, I feel your pain. I battled through yesterday and I’m feeling fine now. More than fine, actually. It’s amazing how much more energy I have when I don’t drink Cokes. The real test will be deciding what to drink when I want pizza, though. Tara, no way could I give up meat. Or dairy. Stacy, just because they’re insipid doesn’t mean I don’t watch!

6. Greg says:

My daughter is caught in the hannah montana tractor beam. even my 3-year-old son said one day “dad, I love hannah montana.” I was lucky enough to get 2 tickets to the hm concert here before it sold out (in 12 minutes). she got to see her in december as part of her christmas.HM cannot be stopped. you can only hope to contain her.and I agree – someone really needs to slap huckabee and tell him it’s over, and has been since, well, the beginning.I’m on my third 24oz Mtn Dew today…

7. JD says:

Great List Jason! I agree with most of it.Hannah is harmless so far … but one day she will tire of the sugary sweet image and come out on an awards show in a barely there britney spears outfit and tank her career. I hope not, but that’s the way it usually goes. She has an involved dad in her life so maybe that will be her key to success.hope the painting went well. We’re preparing our house to sell and had to finish some Katrina damage repairs … big money suck there … and frustrations galore.

JD, thanks for stopping by. Do we know each other?