Desert Island Movies

Last night’s Academy Awards got me thinking about all of my favorite movies. Sunny and I don’t get to watch as many as we did back in the day, but we still love watching movies. And I have several that would make my list of all-time favorites. (I wrote about my Top 10 Comedies a few years back; probably time to revise that list.)

So here’s the question: If you were stranded on a desert island and you could only take 5 films with you, what would they be? And yes, you have DVD capability and power and all that stuff. Just play along. And no boxed sets. You can’t take the Star Wars set as one movie, even though it’s boxed up in a life-size replica of Darth Vader’s mask. Five movies, that’s it. What’s on your list?

For me, Gladiator would have to be on that list. I think I could seriously watch it over and over. Crowe’s Maximus remains one of my all-time favorite characters as he fights to avenge the deaths of his son and wife. And who could forget Joaquin Phoenix’s creepy portrayal of Commodus?

Epic.
Emotional.
Romance.
Action.
A powerful score.
A great cast.
What more do you need?

This one’s definitely on my list.

With the action genre squarely covered, I’d have to move to some comedic fare. I mean, it is a desert island, right? I’d have to go with O Brother, Where Art Thou? for sure. And I couldn’t survive out there for long without the make-me-laugh-till-I-cry antics of Monty Python & the Holy Grail. I submit to you my absolute favorite scene from this classic:

Gotta go with Field of Dreams, too. I know it’s cheesy, but if you’ve ever played catch with your Dad in the yard, you know why it’s on my list. I have a little ritual where I watch this one every spring just before the season starts. Maybe someday when my kids are older I can get them to watch it with me.

Man, this is hard. With my last pick, I’m going with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Or Airplane. Or Fletch. Ahh, flip a coin, I can’t decide.

This entry was posted in Movies. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Desert Island Movies

1. Greg says:

the grail is the funniest movie ever made. also my favorite scene, I believe. One of my favorite lines: “strange women lyin’ in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.” Classic. The French castle is a great scene, too, as well as the scene at the cave with the Rabbit of Caerbannog and Tim the Enchanger.Fletch is one of my very favorites, too. I quote it, the grail, and seinfeld on a daily basis.Favorite line from Airplane!: Striker to Kramer: “I guess the foot’s on the other hand, now!”

2. Greg says:

that should have been Tim the “Enchanter”.

3. Kenny Simpson says:

Rocky IV would have to be on the list. Back to the future may be on there as well. Gladiator would be there too for me. Happy Gilmore may be on my list.

Greg, I agree with you about Grail. Nothing makes me laugh louder or more consistently. I love Tim. Just typing that makes me smile. From Fletch, I love it when he tells the guy his name is “Babar”:”Isn’t there a children’s book about an elephant named Babar?””I don’t know, I don’t have any.””What, no children?””No elephant books.”I found a great website with Fletch quotes.

Favorite Airplane! quote: “Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin’ glue.”Kenny, I’d put the original Rocky ahead of Rocky IV. Although I caught the tail end of IV on TBS about a month ago and it was great. Took me back to 4th grade.

No Tombstone?

Wow. I forgot about Tombstone. It would have to be on the list. Or what about the Princess Bride? The whole “mawwiage” scene could sustain me for years all by itself.

8. Jake Bennett says:

Another great quote from Airplane!: “Do you know what it’s like to fall in the mud and get kicked… in the head… with an iron boot? Of course you don’t, no one does. It never happens. It’s a dumb question… skip it.”

“Nervous?””Yes.””First time?””No, I’ve been nervous lots of times.”Classic.

10. Sunny says:

I really don’t know what I would take. I am not as big of a fan of the movies as you are. I’m not really in to watching the same movie over and over again. I think that I get too emotionally invested.

I thought you might vote for Life is Beautiful or Moulin Rouge.