Every year, I’ll post my favorite albums from the past 12 months. Inevitably, I’ll miss a couple of releases and — after getting my hands on them — I’ll make some changes to my list.
This year was no different. A couple weeks ago, after I was given an iTunes gift card, I downloaded the latest release from Pearl Jam, “Backspacer”. I’d heard good things about it, but I never downloaded it last year, mainly because it wasn’t available on eMusic.
Well, after listening to it for a couple of weeks, I’m convinced its the best Pearl Jam record since “Yield” and it certainly deserves a place on my annual “Best Of” list. Tough break, Mountain Goats. Maybe next year.
Here’s the revised list. You’ll note I’ve also elevated “I and Love and You” by the Avett Brothers. I’ve been playing it nonstop for two months now and I love it more each time I listen to it. Well, except for “Kick Drum Heart”. I don’t think I’ll ever like that song.
2009 Top 20 Albums
- U2, No Line on the Horizon
- M Ward, Hold Time
- The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You
- Eels, Hombre Lobo
- Justin Townes Earle, Midnight at the Movies
- Pearl Jam, Backspacer
- Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
- Monsters of Folk, Monsters of Folk
- Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream
- Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band, Outer South
- Neko Case, Middle Cyclone
- Slaid Cleaves, Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away
- Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
- Magnolia Electric Co., Josephine
- Great Lake Swimmers, Lost Channels
- Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
- David Bazan, Curse Your Branches
- Regina Spektor, Far
- Andrew Bird, Noble Beast
- Ben Kweller, Changing Horses