I’m feeling reflective tonight here in Tennessee. Tomorrow I’ll deliver the eulogy for Don Shates, Sunny’s grandfather. This was a strong man, a man full of life and laughter. But he was also a man of sorrows: Don outlived both of his sons and his only grandson. All of this has me counting my blessings tonight. I’m thankful for my boys and I’m mindful of the legacy of faith that they’ve inherited from both sides of their family. The last few months have been a little hard on them; they’ve said goodbye to several of their role models and now they’re asking questions about how long I’ll live. But in this season of grief, we’ve also made some great memories. Here’s a pic we snapped a few weeks ago when we hiked Laurel Falls in Gatlinburg. I love these boys.
- Follow already & not yet on WordPress.com
Search Already & Not Yet
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- The Story: The Threshing Floor
- A Theological Interpretation of The Greatest Showman: "From Now On"
- The Story: Bitterness
- 2 Corinthians 5: The Love of Christ Compels Me
- Book Review: The Gospel You've Never Heard
- Parenting: The Swimming Pool Metaphor
- The Story: Elijah and Elisha
- Putting the World to Rights
- The Hidden Spring
Preach the Gospel, die, and be forgotten.