Touché, Casper

So…we have a ghost in our house.

At least he / she / it seems to be of the friendly variety.

I’m not Fox Mulder here; I don’t want to believe. But the evidence leaves me no other option.

When we moved into this house a year and a half ago, Sunny and I both started having these weird experiences. We noticed that when we were each alone in the house, we’d invariably get the feeling that someone was in the house with us. You know that sound that someone’s feet make when they’re walking across the kitchen tile? I’d hear that when I’d be here at the house all by myself. About two weeks ago, I promise you I heard a woman’s voice whisper “Hey” while I was watching Baseball Tonight in the living room. I honestly thought Sunny was playing a joke on me or something.

About two weeks ago, Sunny was here at the house one afternoon. All three kids were down for naps and she was in the study working on some school work. Outside the study we have some pictures of the kids hanging on the wall. All is quiet in the house; no one is slamming any doors; nobody stomping through the house. A rare moment of calm….interrupted by the sounding of breaking glass. This picture of Jackson, which had been hanging on our wall for the past 7 months or so, just falls off the wall. All by itself. Nail still hanging in the wall; hanging apparatus on the back of the picture still intact.

Of course, when the glass hits the tile, it shatters into a million pieces, shattering the silence in the house along with it. Before Sunny can even grab a broom to sweep up the shards, everyone in the house is awake. And cranky.

Our ghost is a mischievous little devil. Why else disrupt the peaceful slumber of the Bybee children?

Still not convinced? Last week, Sunny and the kids went up to Nashville on Tuesday night. I stayed back for a couple of days before driving up to join them on Thursday night. Which means I spent two nights here alone. Wednesday morning, I get up and get ready for work just like any normal morning. I’m shaving at the bathroom sink when I hear this crashing sound in our shower. Our shampoo bottle has fallen down. No biggie; I simply put it back in its place. Not five minutes later, while I’m still shaving, the shampoo bottle falls down again. Not only is our ghost mischievous, he’s persistent, too. Before he can bewitch me a third time, I take the shampoo bottle and sit it on the counter next to me. “If you do it a third time,” I tell him, “you’re gonna have to do it right here in front of my eyes. Come and get it, Casper.” Intimidated, our ghost retreats to more specter-friendly confines.

Until last night. At approximately 4:30am, Sunny and I awoke to the same crashing sound in our bathroom. Adrenaline pumping, I rush to the bathroom and flip on the light to find our shampoo bottle lying on the floor outside the shower, mocking me.

Touché, Casper.

This entry was posted in Casper, Humor, Random. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Touché, Casper

1. Sunny says:

I think that we should come up with a better name for our friendly ghost. Although, Casper is a good one since I remember it being one of the first movies that I went with you to see! I kind of find our ghost a bit funny. I just didn’t really appreciate the 4:30 AM waking. I seriously considered going to the gym because I could not go back to sleep.

2. mike the eyeguy says:

I so want to believe, and I’m very jealous.

3. Stacy says:

I laughed out loud when you started talking to it! 🙂

Sunny,I forgot that we went to see that movie. Heck, I forgot there even was a Casper movie. Good memory. Anyway, I’m open to other name possibilities. And I’m just assuming our ghost is male, too. I could be wrong. I just find it hard to believe that a female ghost would be so mean as to wake up sleeping children!Mike,Not to exacerbate your jealousy, but every house I’ve ever lived in has been a little creepy. I have stories, my friend.Stacy,Hope you didn’t wake anyone up at your house with your 3:43am LOL! Glad I could provide some comic relief to your early morning!

5. Amy says:

Well I’m glad your ghost is a friendly ghost. We’ve had things like that happen before too…pretty creepy. I love how you tell a story, I could picture the whole thing. Pretty funny!!

6. THE MORROW FAMILY says:

That’s eerie! My brother and sister promise me that they’ve had similar types of experiences at my parents house growing up…sounds of doors opening and closing, crooked pictures on the walls, voices, etc. It’s kinda creepy. I would be so mad if some ghost woke my kids up with a broken picture…really bad timing!

My dead grandmother still is around my parents house upstairs in my brother’s old room. All of her old bedroom furniture is in there now, and we’ve seen her old rocking chair rock by itself several times.

8. Sunny says:

Lane, that is just TOO FREAKY!!!!

9. Trey and Bri Maharrey says:

The very fact that you were conversing and agging on the friendly ghost is funny!! I can see that now ;0 That is really weird and to be honest is freaky. How else could this be explained? Good luck……I guess is what you say to dealing with this issue?? -Bri

10. TARA says:

I’m NOT sleeping at your house any more!

Sunny, its real freaky when you see it. She also used to sniff a lot (she was addicted to nose spray), and I know I’ve heard sniffing at night in that room we go to visit.

12. Anonymous says:

My parents definitely have a ghost in their house. A friendly one, but definitely a ghost. Occasionally he would open doors for me. We always joked about it, until one day after I was in college, somebody let slip that a guy had actually been killed in our house while cleaning his gun. Not so funny anymore. At least he’s a nice ghost.Tricia Parker

13. Adam Copeland says:

I’m always fascinated by such stories. Logically, I laugh and explain things away. But i’ve also had some totally serious conversations with pastors who’ve been ask to de-ghost houses for parishoners–houses in which deaths previously occurred–and it was so real to them, I almost believe it. Hmm.